RICHARD A. KUNIN, M.D.
1555 Burke Ave., Ste. K
San Francisco, CA 94124
CURRICULUM VITAE 2021 (partial)
POSITIONS AND APPOINTMENTS:
- Private practice of orthomolecular-health-medicine, (general medical-psychiatry, focus on nutrition, toxicology, physiology) 1963-2021
- Columnist: "Putting Nutrition First." The New Fillmore (monthly circulation). San Francisco. 1986-1999 (over 150 articles published)
- Society for Orthomolecular Health-Medicine, President 1994-2021
Professional continuing education society for licensed health professionals. (CME category I accredited by California Medical Association)
- Autism Research Institute, Board of Directors 1991-2021
- National Health Federation, Board of Directors 1993-2021
- National Health Federation, Board Vice-chairman 1994-2021
- Editorial Board, Alternative Medicine Magazine 1995-2021
- Editorial Board, Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine (Toronto) 1982-2021
- Ola Loa, LLC (Health products), Director of Research 2000-2021
- Mayor’s Council on Homelessness (San Francisco) 2004-2021
- Inducted into the Orthomolecular Hall of Fame 2008
- Honorary Board Member, The Future of Medicine Foundation 2021
- Society for Orthomolecular Health-Medicine (San Francisco)
- American Medical Association (1963-1995)
- California Medical Association (1963-1995)
- San Francisco Medical Society (1963-1995)
- American Psychiatric Association (Life member)
- San Francisco Academy of Hypnosis (President, 1970)
- Co-Founder, Past President, Orthomolecular Medical Society (1976)
- Valedictorian, North High School, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1949.
- B.S., University of Minnesota, 1953.
- M.D., University of Minnesota Medical School, 1955.
- Intern (rotating), Kings County Hospital, Brooklyn, NY 1955-56.
- Resident, New York Hospital, Payne Whitney Clinic 1956-59.
- NIH Special Fellow (neurophysiology), Stanford University Medical Center, Department of Neurology, 1962-63.
PREVIOUS APPOINTMENTS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Instructor in psychiatry, Cornell University School of Medicine, 1959.
- Captain, U.S., Army Medical Corps,
- 121st Evacuation Hospital (Korea) and Valley Forge Army Hospital (Pennsylvania), 1959-1961.
- Diplomate, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (P), 1962.
- Consultant, Stanford University, Department of Psychology,
- graduate practicum in behavior therapy, 1963-64.
- Lecturer in hypnosis, University of California Medical School, Langley Porter
- Neuropsychiatric Institute, 1968-71.
- President, San Francisco Academy of Hypnosis, 1970
- President, Steppingstone, San Francisco Women’s Recovery Home, 1971.
- President, Orthomolecular Medical Society, 1979-82.
- Consultant, State of California, Napa State Hospital,
- Orthomolecular Treatment Project, 1978-1980
- President, International Society for Orthomolecular Medicine (Toronto) 1993-1996
- Founding President, Society for Orthomolecular Health-Medicine (California) 1994-2021
- International Board of Advanced Longevity Medicine. Treasurer. 1998- 2002
- Board Member, The National Health Federation
RESEARCH, PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS:
- EEG Studies in Animal Hypnosis. Am J Clin Hypnosis, April, 1964.
- An Operational Approach to Hypnosis in Psychotherapy. Presented at American Society of Clinical Hypnosis, 1966.
- The Mental Tune-up in Operational Hypnotherapy. Presented at American Society of Clinical Hypnosis, 1969.
- Action of Aspirin in Preventing the Niacin Flush. Presented at Academy of Orthomolecular Psychiatry (LasVegas), 1974.
- Manganese and Niacin in Treatment of Tardive Dyskinesia. Ibid.
- The Optimal Carbohydrate Diet. Presented at Academy of Orthomolecular Psychiatry (Miami) 1975.
- Food as Psychotherapy. Presented at Academy of Orthomolecular Psychiatry (Denver) 1976.
- The Action of Aspirin in Preventing the Niacin Flush and its Relevance to the Antischizophrenic Action of Megadose Niacin. Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine, 5,2:89-100, 1976
- Ketosis and the Optimal Carbohydrate Diet: A Basic Factor in Orthomolecular Psychiatry. Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine, 5,3: 203-211. 1976.
- Orthomolecular Psychiatry. University of California Medical School, Pathophysiology of Disease, 1979.
- The Orthocarbohydrate Diet in Treatment of Childhood Learning Disorders. California Association for Neurologically Handicapped Children (SF) 1980.
- MEGANUTRITI0N. McGraw Hill, NY, 1980. (book)
- MEGANUTRITION FOR WOMEN. McGraw Hill, NY, 1983. (book)
- Chronic Arsenic Poisoning. Western Journal of Medicine, 139: 714. 1983.
- Meganutrition and the Immune Response in Cancer. Presented at Livingston Clinic Symposium, 1984.
- Alternative Medicine. Is it Good Medicine? Bulletin of San Francisco Medical Society. September, 1984.
- Orthomolecular Treatment of Mental Retardation. President's Committee on Mental Retardation and Mental Illness, 1985.
- Progress in Orthomolecular Psychiatry. (Chapter) In: Roots of Molecular Medicine, Ed. R. Huemer. W. Freeman, Palo Alto, 1986.
- Orthomolecular Principles in Treatment of Persons with Mental Retardation and Mental Illness. (Chapter) In: Mental Retardation and Mental Health. Ed. J. A. Stark, F. J. Menaloscino, M. H. Albarelli, V. C. Gray. Springer Verlag, NY, 1988.
- Snake Oil. Western Journal of Medicine, 151, 2: 208. August, 1989.
- Van Gogh: Meniere's Disease? Porphyria. JAMA. 265:723. (1991)
- Carnitine: a common deficiency. Presented at International Society for Orthomolecular Medicine, (Vancouver, BC) April, 1994.
- Copper, Maligned Mineral. Presented at Klaire Laboratories symposium (Sorrento, Italy), September, 1994.
- Antioxidants, Nature's Megavitamins. Ibid.
- Copper and the Aging Process. Presented at the American College of Advancement in Medicine (Colorado Springs). November 1995.
- The ABCDE-F of Fluoridation. Presented at Loma Linda University, Post-graduate convention, School of Public Health, March 1996.
- Autism to Alzheimers: mechanisms in common? Bradford Foundation Seminar, Mallorca, Spain. June, 1996.
- Coumadin Increases Cancer Survival. Townsend Letter for Doctors, October, 1997.
- Autism Treatment: An Orthomolecular Overview. Autism Research Institute DAN! Conference, San Diego, September, 1997.
- Orthomolecular Health-Medicine: Putting Nutrition First. John Muir Hospital CME conference, Walnut Creek, CA, October, 1997.
- Homocysteine, a major factor in aging. Presented at the International College for Advanced Longevity Medicine, Reno, NV. October, 1998.
- Homocysteine: a Major Ager. Nevada Association of Homeopathic Physicians, Las Vegas, November 1998.
- Orthomolecular Medicine and Homeopathy. Nevada Association of Homeopathic Physicians, April, 1999.
- Ischemia and apoptosis in autism. Autism Research Institute DAN! Conference, Cherry Hill, NJ, October 1999.
- Ischemia-induced apoptosis in neuro-developmental disorders. International Society for Orthomolecular Medicine, Vancouver, B.C., April, 2000.
- Health Medicine, a physiological strategy for medical practice. Society for Orthomolecular Health-Medicine, San Francisco, February, 2001
- Practical Orthomolecular Approach to Healthy Longevity. Chapter in: The Advanced Guide to Longevity Medicine. Ed. Ghen M. Impakt, Green Bay, WI 2001
- Advances in Coagulation Research and Treatment. Nevada Homeopathic and Integrative Medicine Association, Las Vegas, October 2001
- Nutrient Therapy for Ischemic Disease. American College for Advancement in Medicine, Nashville, TN, May, 2001
- Nutrition is Circulation: Circulation is Nutrition. Society for Orthomolecular Health Medicine, San Francisco, February 2002
- Functional and Genetic testing of Vascular Disease. Homeopathic and Integrative Medicine Association, Incline Village, Nevada, October 2002.
- MTHFR mutation, a common cause of folic acid deficiency symptoms. Society for Orthomolecular Health Medicine, San Francisco, March 2003
- Listen to Your Body Low Carb Diet. Ola Loa, LLC (www.ololoa.com), San Francisco, 2004.
- Digestion-Energy: Strategies for orthomolecular health medicine. Society for Orthomolecular Health Medicine, San Francisco, February 2004.
- Carnitine Deficiency, a link to MTHFR mutation. Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine. (In process).